noun: a company that does research for hire and issues reports on the implications. So that's not quite what I am, but I do provide social commentary free of charge.

Monday, October 10, 2005

Boston Consulting Group: Round One

Had my very first interview of the recruiting season on Thursday and it was a doozy. But getting that first interview signalled to me that I didn't need to tinker with my resume or cover letter again, at least not for the time being. Hey, if my application package is good enough for the Boston Consulting Group, it should be good enough for other companies.

I don't know how many of you have had consulting interviews before but it's not your typical behavioural interview session. Yes, behavioural questions do play a part but the kicker is the interactive case that you have to work through. These cases are usually things that you can't Google the answer for and are recent projects that the interviewer has worked on. The interview itself is made up of 2, back-to-back 45 minute sessions.

So how'd I get to this point you ask. Well Boston Consulting isn't an accounting firm, that much is clear from its name, and they recruit at Schulich? Apparently. They just started doing this last year. You don't make the initial contact. They select people from the Graduating Class Resume Book and send out an email to attend an information session. After that, you send in your cover letter, resume and transcript and wait to hear back from them.

I have no clue how I ended up being one of eight interviewees. Going into the interview with absolutely no expectations and with no formal interview help from the Career Centre (useless bastards), I wasn't nervous. Scared of what lay ahead, but not nervous. For me, this interview was more about getting practice and experience. Not to say that I didn't give it my best shot.

So all in all, if they were hiring someone they thought they'd get along with, I'd have a shot. But since the case weighs heavily on their decision and mine wasn't very structured, I'm not expecting anything but a phone call to alert me of my inadequacies.

I was extremely impressed with the people who make up BCG though. They're extremely intelligent, accomplished and friendly. So different from what I'm used to at the TTC.

Now I know how great consulting can be and I think I want it.

Waiting for that phone call, good or bad...

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

why is it called the boston consulting group?

10:33 PM

 
Blogger Addy said...

hey ting!

you totally stumped me so i had to look this up.

according to their website,
"BCG was founded by Bruce D. Henderson as the Management and Consulting Division of the Boston Safe Deposit and Trust Company—itself a subsidiary of The Boston Company"

guess it comes from their roots. either way, i'd love to work there although with every passing day, it's looking less and less likely...

10:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's not actually in boston, though?

1:14 AM

 
Blogger Addy said...

it's a worldwide group. there is an office in boston but this job was for their toronto office.

8:04 PM

 
Anonymous STP said...

Hi Addy. Just stumbled upon this. I just interviewed with BCG too and got the rejection phone call the night of (they have a fast turn-over here in Germany). Good experience but a real bummer. Good to know that other people went through the same thing. Keep practicing to ace your next one I guess!

2:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home