noun: a company that does research for hire and issues reports on the implications. So that's not quite what I am, but I do provide social commentary free of charge.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Rewind Please

I looked up at my calendar today and as is the case each and every summer, I have seemingly made it through yet another month without so much as a blink of an eye. Ok, that last part clearly isn’t true but you get the idea. I haven’t quite been having what one could classify as “fun” so the saying that “time flies when you’re having fun” doesn’t apply. I think that the reality is that if you’re on vacation from your normal or predominant life routine – being a University student, in my case – then time tends not to wait around for you.

I can’t say that all that much has happened over the last month or so. I’m still a minion – commonly also referred to as a summer student – floundering about in the public sector; skills left to rot. But that doesn’t mean that I don’t have stuff ongoing outside of work. Although my computer illiterate co-worker says that going online every day is an indication of one’s lack of a social life, I beg to differ. Everyone’s work schedules are so different and so hectic that the Internet is sometimes the only way we can socialize.

Speaking of work, we (the summer students) have come up with nicknames for the cast of characters. I suppose that the nicknames are telling of the people to who they belong. I feel as though I work under the scrutiny of prying eyes coming from each and every direction, eyes lead by the ever-patrolling “Hitler” and his new accomplice, the “Terrorist”. Mind you, all these nicknames are converted into their Chinese equivalent. Speaking of Chinese, mine has vastly improved. The fact that all the summer students in my department are Chinese and that we each equally despise the conditions under which we work has led me to sometimes forget to speak in English while at work. I’ve also been taught what Fiona has declared as “Chinese 101”. Essentially, I can now name a few (probably around five) Chinese pop stars. Yay me!

In order to cope with the frustrations associated with working under Hitler and the Terrorist, I have taken to reading The Art of War. Fabulous book. I don’t think I can take my strategic plan all the way to the pinnacle though. That would require that I break a few laws…so I’m working on a toned down version. Wish me well as I do battle with what Dubya would call “evil doers”.

Helped the economy out a little bit this past month by frequenting not one, but two Summerlicious participants – Truffles at the Four Seasons Hotel and the Urban Restaurant. As good of a deal as a $35 (not including tax and tip) three-course meal is at a place like the Four Seasons Hotel, my wallet was not particularly thrilled. In fact, I think my Mastercard is resisting my attempts to swipe it. It’s getting harder and harder to pull out from my wallet. LOL.

Keeping me busy is the Presidency of the Schulich Sports Management Society. Prior to last week I had the sinking feeling that this club thing was all too simple. Could it be that the only thing I had to do was organize the events, sans the filing of administrative and bureaucratic papers? Ha. Of course not. Evidently, I have to try to come up with 25 nominations (including original signatures) in the midst of summer in addition to various other submissions. Not to mention there’s still the actual task of getting guest speakers and organizing events. On that note, does anyone know of any notable members of the sports management committee that they think might be interested in coming in to speak? Or have any further comments/suggestions to offer? I’m always ready to entertain new ideas.

I’m going to relieve you from reading any more (yes, I also know that it’s summer vacation – a time away from course kits and readings galore…readings that I have a penchant not to do) but before I do, if everyone could visit the following link and vote for Kathleen’s doggie Ellie. http://gallery.telusmobility.com/lpicture.asp?id=7954 She’s really too cute for words as you can see by the picture. Apparently, we would not want to have it on our heads to deprive Ellie of an iPod Photo. LOL. Sure Kath, it’s Ellie that wants the iPod!

Savour every last moment of the summer, after all, it only comes around once a year and depending on whether we’re going to try to be consummate students for life or take the plunge into the working world, this may be our very last four-month summer vacation. *Sniff* And don’t forget to keep cool. I know that I definitely didn’t sign up for this sweltering heat. I live in Canada for heaven’s sake; the land of ice and snow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home